Hello again, I have another question. I made a few 3 string CBG's using a 1" dia. pole for a neck. If you've built and sold using this type of neck, did you put fret and dot markings on it or did you let the customer fend for himself? Thanks.

Views: 139

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If its for sale I would mark the neck just my opinion the buyer may have no experience with scale so keep it easy and simple so there is a good foundation for them to build on .

I've seen some builds where they use zip ties as frets for simplicity

Thanks Richard. I was thinking more of masking the neck and painting.

I've built a total of six of them so far, all with 1, 2 or 3 strings, none of them have frets or dot markers, 1 kept, 2 I sold and 3 I'm selling, haven't had any problems myself and the customers haven't complained.

As long as you're good with a slide and know the scale length, frets ain't needed on a broom handle.

That would make things easier. I could always show them how to mark them with a piece of masking tape down the neck while they are learning. Thanks JP.

I'd put small marks along the top edge

Thanks JL - Great Idea

I have done it two ways.... on the edge visible to the player, I have marked the fret positions with a sharpie, and put dots for the major positions... the other thing I have done is use cigar bands to mark the major positions.... looks awesome!
Thanks John. That does sound cool using cigar bands. I've got one in particular that I'm going to try that on. Thanks.

Broom handles are a great nod to the past,not to mention economical.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation?How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

My music partner

Started by Richard Dean in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Jim Morris 3 hours ago. 2 Replies

VIDEO: The World's Most Irritating Instrument

Started by Shane Speal shanespeal.com in Feature Articles. Last reply by Paul Craig on Sunday. 17 Replies

Blog Posts

To enthusiastic

Posted by Shawn McConnaughay Sr on September 14, 2017 at 12:25am 1 Comment

first steps

Posted by Saigon Bob on September 5, 2017 at 7:37am 3 Comments

One stringers

Posted by Richard Dean on September 5, 2017 at 6:03am 5 Comments

Solid Body #1

Posted by Hal Robertson on August 29, 2017 at 12:30am 5 Comments

Latest Activity

Chick Who Tinkers commented on Jeff 'Bones' Reilly's photo
Thumbnail

Let's see your other talents .

"Beautiful and awesome, in equal measures."
5 minutes ago
John Sawyer replied to Kirk's discussion Less neck shaping for a faster build time?
"I have several grades of guitars....  I sell slide KITS at local faires... 3/8" round…"
16 minutes ago
John Sawyer replied to ChickenboneJohn's discussion Fractal Lichtenberg electrical woodburing - FATAL ACCIDENT
"That is the way to go!  I did add a foot switch to the mains side... For demonstration…"
17 minutes ago
Dave Lynas commented on Erasmo Coco's video
Thumbnail

Still Raining Winter Coming Blues

"I can't get enough of your pickin Erasmo. I gotta find my old flatpicks. You inspire!"
18 minutes ago
Dave Lynas liked Erasmo Coco's video
18 minutes ago
Dave Lynas commented on Snuffy Smith's video
Thumbnail

Angelface by Snuffy Smith

"Loved seeing your fingering Snuffy. Thanks for the lesson."
25 minutes ago
Dave Lynas commented on Richard Sundberg's video
Thumbnail

Four string dreams

"Thanks for the tour of your world Richard. I love the scene! Cooleroo!"
31 minutes ago
Kigar replied to Kirk's discussion Less neck shaping for a faster build time?
"With a draw knife a neck can be shaped in just a few minutes.  If the grain is straight and…"
39 minutes ago
Dave Lynas commented on Wade's photo
Thumbnail

When CBN Members Join Forces!!!

"May the forces be with you! Foil heaven..."
45 minutes ago
Dave Lynas commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP #298 - ''Black Punch''

"Beautiful craftsmanship AGP!"
47 minutes ago
Kigar replied to ChickenboneJohn's discussion Fractal Lichtenberg electrical woodburing - FATAL ACCIDENT
"Cause, I totally understand your concern.  Not sure how this is a shortcut though, love to see…"
48 minutes ago
Dave Lynas posted a photo

The Wooden Hearts

The group is growing. The band stands are coming. The one a day plan...
51 minutes ago

Events

Music

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service