I have there questions before I build my BASS.

1. Can I use a guitar Pickup?  I bought a bunch of Humbukers and Single Coils from Gitty.

2. How many strings 2 or three

3. Which strings.

Unlike a guitar OPEN TUNING / SLIDE bass is not something I can immediately wrap my little brain around., 

Views: 221

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The P Bass pickups that CBGitty sells come in single or a set. The set is 2 single coils wired together in series for humcancellation. You can stack them or put some space between them and they do very well for Bass. I used them with a 4-way switch in my CBG in my avatar. Worked better than I expected for a guitar. A guitar humbucker will work fine too, works well enough for Billy Sheehan in the neck position of his P Bass. Just remember to use 250k pots and a .047 cap.

I built a 2 string fret-less bass with a 25.5" scale and a 3/4"x1.5" red oak neck and one of Gitty's "Bass" pickups.  I sized the strings so to be tuned it "G" and they can be tightened to an '"E".  The "G" is very convenient when playing with other "G" tuned CBGs and when used with a looper to add bass to your CBG.  I did have to order special length flat wound strings to fit the short scale even though I used "Bass" tuners.  The flat wound strings are great and virtually eliminated finger/string squeak.

With a Bass amp this bass guitar sounds great. 

At one of the Blues Jams that we watch, one of the Bass players heard I built a 2-string bass and he kept bugging me to bring it to one of the Jams for him to try.  I did.  Before the band started, he took it on stage and fiddled with it with a tuner and no amp for about 5 minutes.  Without ever listening to it through the amp, he used it for the first song the band played and it sounded great.  I knew I had built a great bass and he showed what a versatile musician he was to try an untested, different instrument without any rehearsal.

Correction:

There's some grammar errors that can be figured out and the strings can be loosened from a "G" to and "E".

Sorry,

Uncle Fred

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation?How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

4 String DBGE tuning options

Started by The Big One in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by darryl kernaghan 3 hours ago. 1 Reply

Guitar skills

Started by Dustin Aurand in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Ron "Oily" Sprague 22 hours ago. 18 Replies

Easy DIY Cigar Box Guitar Stand by Eric Denton

Started by Shane Speal shanespeal.com in Feature Articles. Last reply by Clark Rowden on Wednesday. 2 Replies

Blog Posts

Mini Vacuum Former Experiment

Posted by Clark Rowden on July 20, 2017 at 6:30am 1 Comment

Pocket hole neck attachment

Posted by Jim Brown on July 18, 2017 at 11:13pm 0 Comments

Bladder instrument

Posted by Tom E on July 15, 2017 at 5:00pm 4 Comments

Latest Activity

Jeff 'Bones' Reilly commented on Jeff 'Bones' Reilly's photo
Thumbnail

#6 CBG

"Woof ....."
1 hour ago
darryl kernaghan replied to The Big One's discussion 4 String DBGE tuning options
"Maybe a string calculator will help you out here, i've linked one, but there are…"
3 hours ago
Arlan posted a photo

Time for some building on this beautiful sunny day !

Today is going to be a good day for some building, one CBG on request with modern bridge(experiment…
3 hours ago
Grandpa commented on Grandpa's photo
Thumbnail

Snakeskin! (2)

"Andy, thanks for the " Snake Farm " reference. Went and listened to some Ray Wylie…"
3 hours ago
the anonymous pick commented on Jeff 'Bones' Reilly's photo
Thumbnail

#6 CBG

"good stuff .. and  man's best  friend approved ."
3 hours ago
the anonymous pick commented on the anonymous pick's video
Thumbnail

SWAMP WITCH GUITARS BY THE CEEBEEGEEBEES -REPOST DUE TO CBN CELEB CONTENT

"cheers AGP , it's a  swamp witch  g_itar  video  . only thing…"
3 hours ago
Erasmo Coco commented on James O Lunsford's video
Thumbnail

Like a Rock

"Think I'll go buy a Chevy or is it a GMC . Nice guitar Great Job !!"
5 hours ago
Erasmo Coco liked James O Lunsford's video
5 hours ago
Dustin Aurand posted a discussion

Looking for an amp.

Ok. Looking for a keyboard with the following features.PortableUses batteriesMic inputBass…See More
5 hours ago
Jeff 'Bones' Reilly replied to Mike's discussion Guitar wall hangers in the group Building a Cigar Box Guitar 101
"Here's my upgraded hanger"
5 hours ago
MadGomer replied to Mike's discussion Guitar wall hangers in the group Building a Cigar Box Guitar 101
"Both look good gentlemen, carry on with the builds!"
6 hours ago
The Big One posted a discussion

4 String DBGE tuning options

Hi all,I have my CBG tuned in DGBE tuning, since I know the ukulele and don't want to re-learn all…See More
6 hours ago

Music

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service