Hi there,

I finished my first CBG a while ago, and it was a great success. check out my page for photos. Now, i'm on to a new project

I bought a violin a few months ago, but couldn't really play it because i moved into dorms at university. So i played it for a few weeks, then it sat around for months, then i sold it. I'm now moving back home so i can play again, but i don't have a fiddle to play on, thus i'm going to build one.

essay over, onto the questions.

I have a box and some wood to make a neck out of, but i can't work out how to make a fingerboard. they need to have a curved cross section, like a guitar only much more extreme. how would i go about making that curvature evenly and smoothly. or is it worth just buying one? god forbid.

next, i wanted the option to make it quieter if need be, for practicing at night or similar. I had a mute for my 'real' violin that cut the volume by 60% ish, so i was going to make one of those. the other thing i was thinking of was leaving the box open so i could stuff it with cloth to soak up the sound. Would that have much of an effect? it dosen't need to sound very good when 'muted', just enough for me to hear it and not wake up the neighbourhood.

final thing (I think) is about tuning pegs. On standard violin pegs, the stick is tapered, meaing you get a tighter fit, but you have to have a tapered hole which you need to have a special tool (that i don't have, of course) to make. Can i get away with just using a regular drill and pushing the pegs in hard. or should i try making straight edged pegs myself that won't taper.

thanks in advance for any replies.

Views: 1644

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For the fingerboard, I'd recommend drawing out the radius that you want on a sheet of paper and cutting that out.  Use that as a guide and cut it into a chunk of wood using a block plane.

I don't have any experience with muting so can't help you there.

As far as the pegs, they ought to be tapered so that you can wedge them in there securely.  If they're just straight then you don't have a way to make them tighter.  They make specialized reamers to create the kind of holes that you need.  I couldn't say what they go for though.  You might be able to get away with buying an economy bridge and end pin reamer off ebay.  I got mine for something like $12 - $16 and it works great.

The thing about carving your own fingerboard is that the radius is not consistent. While it is close to symmetrical at the nut, it becomes more asymmetrical towards the bridge. My suggestion is to buy a fingerboard. Here's one for $11! As for the pegs, either splurge on a peg shaper/reamer, or go with geared tuners. As someone who tunes 30-40 violins a day, 5 days a week, the most notable difference between an $89 violin and a $350 violin is the fit of the pegs. If you can't tune your instrument, there's not much use for it. I usually end up replacing my students' pegs right away. If you're not planning to work on a bunch of violins though, its probably not worth it to shell out the money for the shaper/reamer set.

Ben, you are on the money.

Ben said:

The thing about carving your own fingerboard is that the radius is not consistent. While it is close to symmetrical at the nut, it becomes more asymmetrical towards the bridge. My suggestion is to buy a fingerboard. Here's one for $11! As for the pegs, either splurge on a peg shaper/reamer, or go with geared tuners. As someone who tunes 30-40 violins a day, 5 days a week, the most notable difference between an $89 violin and a $350 violin is the fit of the pegs. If you can't tune your instrument, there's not much use for it. I usually end up replacing my students' pegs right away. If you're not planning to work on a bunch of violins though, its probably not worth it to shell out the money for the shaper/reamer set.

the reamer is a bit out of my league at the moment, what with being an impoverised student and all.

would the geared pegs be less likely to go out of tune than friction pegs?

are uke pegs going to be suitable? they seem to work on a friction system as well, not gears. the advantage it that they are striaght, with the tuning knob in line with the string hole, rather than at 90 degree like on a guitar peg.

I think i will go for a bought fingerboard, but i'm in the uk, so shipping from that site would probably be a bit much. couldn't find out how to see the shipping costs without buying the item though. i can get one from ebay for about £8 / $13. if i buy a fingerboard it means it will be reusable if i make another violin latter as well.

Ben said:

St Ginger,

There are some friction pegs made for violins, may be Glasser brand. Check with a company that sells violin parts.

St Ginger said:

the reamer is a bit out of my league at the moment, what with being an impoverised student and all.

are uke pegs going to be suitable? they seem to work on a friction system as well, not gears. the advantage it that they are striaght, with the tuning knob in line with the string hole, rather than at 90 degree like on a guitar peg.

I think i will go for a bought fingerboard, but i'm in the uk, so shipping from that site would probably be a bit much. couldn't find out how to see the shipping costs without buying the item though. i can get one from ebay for about £8 / $13. if i buy a fingerboard it means it will be reusable if i make another violin latter as well.

Ben said:

CHAMPION VIOLIN PEG SET
Adjustable tension friction pegs w/ metal shaft and ebonoid button. Each peg has a specially sized bullet-shaped tip, the E-string having the shortest and the G-string having the longest. From Grover.
sku: VP18 .. list $33.50 ours $26.95

Bob Harrison said:

St Ginger,

There are some friction pegs made for violins, may be Glasser brand. Check with a company that sells violin parts.

St Ginger said:

Ben said:

Bob, you're doing pretty well yourself! As for geared over friction pegs, the ones listed below look pretty good. When building from scratch though, geared tuners will eliminate the need for fine tuners at the tailpiece. Yeah, they aren't that expensive but trying to tune without them is horribly frustrating (especially with poorly fitting pegs). If you're going for the traditional violin look, but want geared tuners, check out these Planetary Pegs. They're expensive (probably prohibitive for a student budget...especially since you may soon be paying the actual cost of your education), and I think they still need a tapered hole since they are meant to replace other pegs.

Bob Harrison said:

CHAMPION VIOLIN PEG SET
Adjustable tension friction pegs w/ metal shaft and ebonoid button. Each peg has a specially sized bullet-shaped tip, the E-string having the shortest and the G-string having the longest. From Grover.
sku: VP18 .. list $33.50 ours $26.95

Bob Harrison said:

St Ginger,

St Ginger said:

Ben said:

This guy sometimes has necks, but nothing today, he does have some mutes take a look at them and make your own.

http://shop.ebay.ca/String-/10176/i.html?_catref=1&_fln=1&_...

Can you radius the fingerboard like a guitar, cut a curved pierce of wood to use as a "jig" to sand it, I don't know how much it changes shape as it goes up the neck. Maybe 2 jigs and smooze the transition.

Cheers Ron.

Ron,

A violin fingerboard has the shape of a section of a cone. A small radi at the nut end and a large radi at the bridge end. Sanding it with a fixture is the way I have build them..

Cheers

Bib

Mungo Park said:

This guy sometimes has necks, but nothing today, he does have some mutes take a look at them and make your own.

http://shop.ebay.ca/String-/10176/i.html?_catref=1&_fln=1&_...

Can you radius the fingerboard like a guitar, cut a curved pierce of wood to use as a "jig" to sand it, I don't know how much it changes shape as it goes up the neck. Maybe 2 jigs and smooze the transition.

Cheers Ron.

As for a mute, generally a CB fiddle is fairly quiet, compared with a traditional fiddle.  I use two clothespins on the bridge of my fiddle to cut the sound some, one sticking out on each side.  Another is to roll up a dollar bill as tight as you can, and weave it under the G, over the D and A, and under the E.  Slid up close to the bridge takes the edge off (and a good idea for general practice with a "real" fiddle so you have some hearing left in your golden years), and slid towards the tail keeps it handy for when you are ready to put it back in place. Plus, can't beat the price.

I don't care for those rubber mutes, they make my intonation go all wonky and you can't get a good handle on your playing skills.  Both of the cheap methods above don't give me that problem.

I second (or are we at thirds?) the vote to purchase a ready-made fingerboard.  That is a hard one to craft so that it matches a traditional fiddle, and if/when you transition to a traditional fiddle you'll have an easier re-learning curve if you've been putting time in on a fiddle with a traditional profile, regardless of the sound box.

I'd say also it is pretty important to position the bridge the same distance from the tail as on a "real" fiddle, for the same transition reasons.  Also, scale length, but you probably already have considered that.

I"m looking at this book before I attempt my next fiddle: http://www.adventurousmusestore.com/servlet/the-141/cigar-box-fiddl...

You're describing a compound radius, I believe.  In that case you can draw out two radius templates and use one at the nut and one at the bridge end.

Ben said:

Hi St Ginger,

I bought a batch of 3/4 sized violins off ebay a while ago - I am planning to convert at least one of the bodies to a guitar once the weather improves which means I have a spare neck/fingerboard/tuning pegs/tailpiece with fine tuners (all have a well used look).  Sizewise it is 25.4cm from nut to the end of the fingerboard and 2.3cm across the nut. Student sale price is free but if you could cover postage I would be grateful (I live in the UK) If you are interested email me.

Regards,

David

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

Latest Activity

Glenn Kaiser commented on Glenn Kaiser's video
Thumbnail

GK less Paul Diddley Bow

"Thx Doug, truly fun to create and use. Plugged into a stomp box, then amp, truly amazing little…"
1 hour ago
Glenn Kaiser commented on Glenn Kaiser's photo
Thumbnail

Less Paul by GK

"Thanks Doug, a joy to build. I'll play it tomorrow night in a show. -Glenn"
1 hour ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Randy S. Bretz's photo
Thumbnail

Off the Bench !

"Truly amazing Randy! A stunning build. Craftsmanship at its finest…"
2 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Up the Hill A D Eker 2024

"I’m with Kale; the shaker sound nicely offsets the guitar groove… Cool Andries!"
3 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Glenn Kaiser's video
Thumbnail

GK less Paul Diddley Bow

"Love that outside the box thinking! Less Paul, more Glenn! You are having way too much fun…"
3 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Glenn Kaiser's photo
Thumbnail

Less Paul by GK

"Wow! Less Paul is definitely more Glenn!!! Simple and cool; a great combo."
3 hours ago
Bernie Edwards commented on Randy S. Bretz's photo
Thumbnail

Off the Bench !

"The cherries make it really even more special!  Great project with a unique and special result!"
8 hours ago
Crazed Fandango replied to Rich Butters's discussion UK - Best Place to Buy Cigar Box's
9 hours ago
Crazed Fandango commented on David Woodman 's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0749

"Amazing!"
10 hours ago
Crazed Fandango liked David Woodman 's photo
10 hours ago
Crazed Fandango posted a photo
10 hours ago
Rich Butters posted a discussion

UK - Best Place to Buy Cigar Box's

Hi all, I am living in Thailand and building CBGs for about a year.  I will be returning to the UK…See More
11 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->