I cut into a Don Thomas box to start a build and found the surfaces were made of Cardboard.  I was surprised as the box felt so solid.  So I switched to an Arturo Fuente box that I had handy, but I am now wondering about the acoustic properties of the cardboard.  Anybody out there use it?  What's it sound like? 

I suppose if I were to use a magnetic pickup it wouldn't make much difference.

Mark

Views: 4711

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just agreeing with what's been said. I've made CBG's from both types of boxes. I like the Macanudo boxes, because I like the look of Shane's, and I like to imagine I'll sound more like him if my CBG looks like his... Silly, I know. Anyway, the Macanudos I've been finding have the press board tops. They are definately not as bright as a wood box. I've played it side by side with a couple of other CBGs. I have one I made with an Arturo Fuente "Double Chateau Fuente" which has wood back and sides, but press board top. It sounds better than the Macanudo. Recently I made another Macanudo "Crystal Cafe", but made it the way Shane makes his Chugger by using the wood back for the sound board. I also used the technique others have mentioned by leaving a small amount of space between the neck and the sound board around the middle of the neck to allow it to resonate better. It sounds great and I'm really enjoying it.

I'm in favor of building with what you've got. If you don't have a fancy wooden box, then build with the press board and play that until you come across a wooden one. As long as the width of the lid is the same size or greater, you can re-use the neck you have once you land that fancy-pants box you've been dying for.

-Jeffrey

On another note: I would really like to see more instructional videos that are plain and straight forward like Knotlenny's. (I wish Shane would slow down and give us a few more licks that he uses...) but anyway, I'm having fun and hope you all are too.

Here are two of my most recent builds. I love them both.

Here's the inside of my version of Shane's Chugger. It shows the space between the neck and the sound board (bottom).

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->