I cut into a Don Thomas box to start a build and found the surfaces were made of Cardboard.  I was surprised as the box felt so solid.  So I switched to an Arturo Fuente box that I had handy, but I am now wondering about the acoustic properties of the cardboard.  Anybody out there use it?  What's it sound like? 

I suppose if I were to use a magnetic pickup it wouldn't make much difference.

Mark

Views: 3419

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cardboard is common and commonly used (blue Punch boxes, some Macanudo, Don Tomas, some Partagas, etc). It is definitely different from wood but most don't seem to mind as much. it [might] sound a little less bright but overall we use 'em. Build on.

If I were you, I would do this: look on the inside at the side panels. remove some of the white paper if applicable, and see if its cardboard (I call it pressboard. Same thing). Most likely the lid is pressboard. In my opinion, I would avoid boxes that are made of coarse, pressed sawdust like material. Kinda the same material as cheap laminated countertop or shelving is made of. It chips WAY too easy and doesn't saw well.

-WY
Agreed.
One thing I did on a cardboard build was to glue very thin wood (such as from a hollow-core door) to the inside of the box walls. It brightens up the tone quite a bit.


Wes "Blind Lemon Pledge" Yates said:
Cardboard is common and commonly used (blue Punch boxes, some Macanudo, Don Tomas, some Partagas, etc). It is definitely different from wood but most don't seem to mind as much. it [might] sound a little less bright but overall we use 'em. Build on.

If I were you, I would do this: look on the inside at the side panels. remove some of the white paper if applicable, and see if its cardboard (I call it pressboard. Same thing). Most likely the lid is pressboard. In my opinion, I would avoid boxes that are made of coarse, pressed sawdust like material. Kinda the same material as cheap laminated countertop or shelving is made of. It chips WAY too easy and doesn't saw well.

-WY
Also, keep in mind -- cigar boxes are just that. Cigar boxes. Never intended to be musical instruments*.

-WY

*Your mileage may vary. Results are not typical. Do not try this at home. Dealer retains all rebates and incentives. Subject to tax, tag, and applicable license. Use only in open areas. Not responsible for damages due to improper or illegal use. Unlawful in CA, WY, TX, OH, NY, NJ, SC, PR, AF, BR, EU, FR, and some parts of lower Mongolia. May cause cancer (or at least chronic sleepiness). Do not operate machinery for four hours.
As long as the neck goes thru the box it doesnt matter too much what the box is made out of. Although it seems they all have different properties, which adds up to a different sound. I made a guitar all out of cardboard to see if it could be done. The neck is prone to warping though and I ended up only with a one-stringer.

Opps, I just looked at the price on Amazon and I totally retract my statement, well worth the money. Sorry.
Don


Don Thompson said:
Yes I have 3 builds in Don Thomas boxes and the top is not wood, Oh well the bottom is wood though, maybe turn it over and viola wood. They don't sound all that bad and I will site the " their are not rules" and that is my story and I am sticking to it.
Yah wood sounds better, deeper boxes sound better......and where will you end up Sitks spruce guitars sound better to.
So if I could find more wood boxes I would use them but in between Don Thomas boxes fill the gaps, I like the yellow.
You have brought up a good point though.
Cheers Ron
Brendan,

Dunno if this would work and I'm sure it wouldn't work past 3 strings, but if you took strips of .75" cardboard, glued them together to make a 1.5"x.75" neck so that the 'grain' was vertical, I wonder if that would add strength. Would need to be really tight cardboard to begin with, somewhat like a single ply paperboard like a cereal box and NOT this cheap crap cardboard from China.

I could see this as similar to a bunch of tempered hardboard glued together.

-WY


Brendan deVallance said:
As long as the neck goes thru the box it doesnt matter too much what the box is made out of. Although it seems they all have different properties, which adds up to a different sound. I made a guitar all out of cardboard to see if it could be done. The neck is prone to warping though and I ended up only with a one-stringer.

Are we talking about cardboard here or the press board that is used in the lids, they are two very different things. I have a few cardbaord cigar boxs and they would be useless for a cbg, they are real cardboard and the string tension would just crush the lid, too bad because they ahve nice labels. The press board lid is very usable, usually thicker than the plywood tops and as the above have said can be a duller sound, but you never know I've made few that surprised me. They do seem to work well with a piezo (I've never tried a real pickup). If its press board build it.
I used corrugated card board for the neck. I was trying to make it outta stuff that was just lying around. And I had the corrugation going both ways for strength. But it really doesnt like the tension or attaching tuners to it the way wood does.



Wes "Blind Lemon Pledge" Yates said:
Brendan,

Dunno if this would work and I'm sure it wouldn't work past 3 strings, but if you took strips of .75" cardboard, glued them together to make a 1.5"x.75" neck so that the 'grain' was vertical, I wonder if that would add strength. Would need to be really tight cardboard to begin with, somewhat like a single ply paperboard like a cereal box and NOT this cheap crap cardboard from China.

I could see this as similar to a bunch of tempered hardboard glued together.

-WY


I play a cbg made from one of them boxes and I think its got grate tone. I also use one for my stomp box it also sounds grate. You can check it out in the videos under the coco butter kids
A couple of years ago I made two identical guitars--same dimensions, same boxes (Romeo y Julieta), same neck materials, etc--with the single exception being that one of the boxes was made of cardboard, and the other plywood. The wood box put out *much* more volume and had a brighter sound overall. It took me forever to figure out what the difference was. That said, the cardboard box wasn't "bad", per se, but it definitely wasn't the same....

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation?How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

News - Save the New Orleans Cigar Box Guitar Fest

Started by Shane (www.ShaneSpeal.com) in Cigar Box Nation News. Last reply by David Kennedy 23 minutes ago. 3 Replies

Hub Cap cut out

Started by Mike "Honeyboy" Edwards in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by John Sawyer 8 hours ago. 4 Replies

ICE!

Started by Cause the Blue rat in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by JL 12 hours ago. 4 Replies

The Mysterious "Ukulele Echo Device" From the 1920's

Started by Shane (www.ShaneSpeal.com) in Feature Articles. Last reply by Gordon Cooper 22 hours ago. 25 Replies

Travel case?

Started by Ken Vickerson in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Ron "Oily" Sprague yesterday. 23 Replies

Cutting fret boards

Started by Billy Jerrells in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by ChickenboneJohn yesterday. 2 Replies

My facebook page is no more......

Started by Cause the Blue rat in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Cause the Blue rat on Sunday. 10 Replies

SURVEY: What do I build with these antique tobacco tins?

Started by Shane (www.ShaneSpeal.com) in Feature Articles. Last reply by Paul Craig on Saturday. 17 Replies

Walking Man

Started by Robert Deventer in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Phillip Harrison on Friday. 4 Replies

Shane Speal Woodshop Diary: "The Beauty of Rust & Scratches"

Started by Shane (www.ShaneSpeal.com) in Feature Articles. Last reply by Dano Schultz on Thursday. 21 Replies

Latest Activity

Jim Morris commented on Elio's video
6 minutes ago
Jim Morris commented on Rob Pottorf's video
Thumbnail

The BlackJack CBG

"Nice sound and playing!"
12 minutes ago
Jim Morris liked Anthony Insetta's video
14 minutes ago
Jim Morris commented on Anthony Insetta's video
Thumbnail

Jan 16, 2017

"Oh yeah!"
15 minutes ago
Jim Morris commented on Jim Morris's video
Thumbnail

Ode to the Swamp Witch

"Yeah pick, I'll sure take it as a compliment"
21 minutes ago
David Kennedy replied to Shane (www.ShaneSpeal.com)'s discussion News - Save the New Orleans Cigar Box Guitar Fest
"You've stormed past the goal! What a great community!"
23 minutes ago
Jim Morris commented on Jim Morris's video
Thumbnail

Ode to the Swamp Witch

"Thanks RTZ. Wait, which Ronnie is that?"
1 hour ago
William Snead posted a status
"Working on my 1st four CBG builds .My workshop is pictured below"
1 hour ago
William Snead posted a photo
1 hour ago
Profile IconPhillip, tony pepperell, william taylor and 15 more joined Cigar Box Nation
1 hour ago
the anonymous pick commented on Jim Morris's video
Thumbnail

Ode to the Swamp Witch

"or  lou's   ;-) "
1 hour ago
the anonymous pick commented on Jim Morris's video
Thumbnail

Ode to the Swamp Witch

"Jim , i  think  that's a compliment to  your  playing as well ;-) "
1 hour ago

Music

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service