I assume the answer is yes but underpowered.  thought I would ask

Views: 589

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It is fascinating and almost counter intuitive.

On one hand, an amplifier pushing 2.5 watts to an 8 ohm speaker is squirting 0.5 amps down the wire, an amplifier pushing 250 watts to an 8 ohm speaker is squirting 50 amps down the wire.

I = √(W/R)

(amps is the square root of the ratio of watts to ohms)

{ 0.5 = √ (2.5/8) }

you would think a speaker that can handle 50 amps of current would practically ignore 0.5 amps since its only 1%.  Sort of like trying to jump start your car with 8 AA batteries, right voltage, not nearly enough amps to move anything.

on the other hand, 8 ohms is 8 ohms is 8 ohms whether it is 8 feet of 40 gauge wire in the voice coil, or 80 ft of 30 gauge wire, or 800 ft of 20 gauge wire. If the amp puts out 0-9v on a 8 ohm speaker then it puts out 0-1.1 amps.

On the other hand, power and volume are not linear to each other.  100w only sounds twice as loud as 10 watts.  The electricity is confined to a wire, but the sound has to fill a 3-D space.  sort of like doubling the height-length-width of a water tank means it takes 8 times as much water to fill.

hmm, seems I've turned into Zaphod Beeblebrox, time for a pan galactic gargle blaster.

I think your math is a bit off, 250 Watts at 8 ohms is about 5.5 amps. Still the point you made is valid in that the power, spl, and volume are not linear.

Here is a link to an easy to understand write up on all this sort of stuff for those who want to know a little more.

https://geoffthegreygeek.com/amplifier-power/

Russ

JL's equation is right but he must of hit a wrong button when entering the numbers. 250w/8ohms is 31.25 so the square root of that is 5.5 amps.

Russ

Yes...except an amp doesn't produce ohms LOL

0.5 amps, not 0.5 Ah (amp hours is used to rate how long a battery runs at nominal design current)

an amplifier is rated at wattage, the combination of volts/amps it can put out without burning, which depends on how many ohms the speaker has.  more ohms in the speaker, less amps from the amplifier, less ohms in the speaker, more amps from the amplifier, short the speaker wires for zero ohms and the amplifier burns.

yup I goofed, forgot to carry the 2, lol

I remember getting bit but not killed by a speaker cabinet wire, 5 amps 50 amps BIG DIFFERNECE, thanks

All I can say is  I'm glad I didn't know all this years ago when I started to build & just wired some up   I guess its the old no rules thing 

It's not that it won't work but it may not work to everyone's expectation. Loud enough for one person might be too soft for another. I'm sure this particular amp and speaker combo work fine or Gitty would not be selling them. Not sure about how it would work with car speakers. Have you or anybody tried this with a car speaker yet? Would be interested in how it turned out.

I can see the appeal of building your own amp but I have a Blackstar Fly 3 battery powered amp that is awesome and is only $59

Russ

Wayfinder, to answer your question up above...you would use the Ohms rating of the speaker that you are using. But remember this does not mean that using a 4 ohm speaker is going to double the watts compared to using an 8 ohm speaker unless you have a very good amplifier.

What is the reason you are wanting to know the current draw? It isn't really very useful.in the long run. 

Russ

As a point of reference, my little Blackstar mini amp is a 3 watt amp and runs on 6 AA batteries, The Batteries last a pretty long time, The speaker is a 3 inch but not sure if it is 4 ohms or what. I suspect it is probably 4 ohms.

I bought the Blackstar wall wart for it and it is rated 6.5 volts at 1.5 Amps.

Russ

MicroCube Stereo Portable gives you two 4" speakers...

2 x 4 = 8

It is simple math, but it seems to work.

Hehehehe
You can use the Line Out to drive a homemade speaker cab, ya know...oh, and yer math is worng...

PiR2 = 3.14159 x 4 (not 16; r=2 fora a 4" spur) = 12.56636 x 2 = 25 sq in

8" spkr

3.14159x16= 50 and change

Yes, an 8 has double the surface area, and therefore moves more air.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation?How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Spider for resonator guitar

Started by Ronald Hanes in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Ron "Oily" Sprague 36 minutes ago. 14 Replies

Delta Groove Necks

Started by Randy Nuttall in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Randy Nuttall 3 hours ago. 4 Replies

VIDEO: Ben "Gitty" Baker - "The Band Played Walzing Matilda"

Started by Shane (www.ShaneSpeal.com) in Feature Articles. Last reply by Graeme L 5 hours ago. 7 Replies

CONTEST: The 2x4 Challenge!!! May 2017

Started by Shane (www.ShaneSpeal.com) in Feature Articles. Last reply by Lane Martin on Thursday. 102 Replies

Lowebows for The Reverend - John Lowe's heartfelt fundraiser

Started by Shane (www.ShaneSpeal.com) in Feature Articles. Last reply by micky rooney on Thursday. 3 Replies

How to Build This "Shabby Chic" Lap Steel Guitar

Started by Shane (www.ShaneSpeal.com) in Feature Articles. Last reply by Jim Morris on Wednesday. 4 Replies

MOD: Create a Tripod Setup for 2x4 Lap Steel

Started by Shane (www.ShaneSpeal.com) in Feature Articles. Last reply by Paul Craig on Wednesday. 1 Reply

Blog Posts

Some progress.

Posted by Printer2 on May 13, 2017 at 12:11am 1 Comment

PIECES AND PARTS INSPIRATION

Posted by Allen on May 12, 2017 at 3:17pm 0 Comments

Bending Time Again

Posted by Printer2 on May 8, 2017 at 9:05pm 1 Comment

Latest Activity

smilingdog1 commented on Uncle John's video
Thumbnail

Stuff That Works

"Great, makes me want to get a hold of an old pickup!"
11 minutes ago
Erasmo Coco commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP #275 - ''Balikpapan 1945''

"Like the color and Graphics. Great looking build !!! This cookie was popularized by World War I…"
14 minutes ago
Erasmo Coco liked AGP #'s photo
20 minutes ago
the anonymous pick commented on the anonymous pick's video
21 minutes ago
J.D. commented on Chris Lyons's photo
Thumbnail

Chateau Lacombe

"Nice build. I've been trying to get my hands on a wine box similar to this myself. What's…"
21 minutes ago
J.D. liked Chris Lyons's photo
21 minutes ago
Erasmo Coco replied to Steve Hansey's discussion Overdrive and Reverb pedals
" I don't use reverb, I use a delay pedals. Currently using a BBE 2 Timer. I prefer analog…"
26 minutes ago
Derek Rose liked the anonymous pick's video
26 minutes ago
Derek Rose commented on the anonymous pick's video
26 minutes ago
Derek Rose liked Richard Sundberg's video
29 minutes ago
Derek Rose commented on Richard Sundberg's video
Thumbnail

Van Morrison "Brown Eyed Girl"

"I love Van and this is a good original take on a classic."
29 minutes ago
ChickenboneJohn replied to Matt Quinney's discussion Poplar neck for 6 string build?
"Harmony made millions of 6 string guitars with poplar necks. Install a truss rod and a hardwood…"
33 minutes ago

Music

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service