Here is my 2nd first build, I have two first time builds going at the same time so when I hit a brain buster on one build I go to the other.....

I'm actually further along then what the pics show, not by much tho.....I'm really enjoying this build sense it is more of a challenge......the  box is from a hobby store......it will have piezo and mag (home made by me) pickups, red oak neck (scarf joint) and cherry? fretboard.......as plans stand now.....vol. and 3 way switch.

Views: 1786

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

On where I get my wood and fretboard , the cedar came from a friend who makes cedar bird houses, he gave me some of his scraps. I also use cedar fence planks and plane them down. I get that from Home Depot. The cherry fretboard I bought off of Ebay, I think, probably from one of our fellow CB Nation members, it has the fret slots cut out, I'm not comfortable with attempting that yet. I'll have to install the frets myself....I dread that! I also get wood veneer off of Ebay, I will be using a cherry veneer on part of the headstock in order to match somewhat to the fretboard.....at least that's where it stand a present.........thanks for the comments and interest......Mike.......Wish me Luck!!!!
Paul,

There will be electronics, and too be honest I don't think I had a reason for doing it this way, other than more open space in the box......I may have been thinking I wanted to have as much neck at the head so I didn't run short.....I'm a worry wort even when I measure....smile...

Paul Doug said:
That is going to be a great looking instrument. One question, why not run the neck clear to the stern of the boat and leave as much open area as possible? Seems like that would give more sound to it,or are you going to add electronic?

Mark, I have purchased a lot of very nice board, all different species off e-bay, search "thin wood" or "thin boards" . This was about a year ago but there were some good providers than.
With the electronics it won't matter. I really like you idea because I'm a big wooden boat fan. I have a little wooden sail boat sitting in my garage that I started about 6 years ago. Should have taken a couple weeks to build, but I'm just a little slow... I'll finish it one of these days, if I live long enough! I'm about 2 thirds done. Than I have to learn how to sail.
Very cool! You might like to see this:

http://liutaiomottola.com/instruments/canotto.htm
I can see why you might have problems getting a good clean cut with that jig. (Constructive criticism).
The neck doesnt look to be well supported and floats up off the table at the point of blade contact. I would like to see the neck either on the table and clamped to an angled guide, or the sled slotted but carrying the neck on both sides of the cut (tricky).
Also I would try to back up the neck if possible to prevent tearout by sandwitching it beteen two sacrificial boards and try to clamp it securely as close to the blade as is feasable.
Mark,

Good suggestions, Im so glad I haven't made the cut yet..........I'll work on getting a better way to do it.....

Ben, thats one cool Bass Boat in the link.....

Paul...Id sure like to see what you do have of that Boat project.....

Mike

Mark Bliss said:
I can see why you might have problems getting a good clean cut with that jig. (Constructive criticism).
The neck doesnt look to be well supported and floats up off the table at the point of blade contact. I would like to see the neck either on the table and clamped to an angled guide, or the sled slotted but carrying the neck on both sides of the cut (tricky).
Also I would try to back up the neck if possible to prevent tearout by sandwitching it beteen two sacrificial boards and try to clamp it securely as close to the blade as is feasable.

Fellow CBNation members...well it's been awhile sense my last post/updated , all I can say is I haven't given up on the project and have finally got back to it...had a few trips to the hospital and kinda got away from the project...other priorities...anyway here is a link to a Utube  video I took of the Boatar build.........Hope to keep updating more often......

Still enjoy what I'm reading and seeing from your builds..very inspiring....!!!!

Take care....

Mike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRBV2qP7I1Q

Finished Boatar....a Video look........

and the first acoustic test of playability..

Please excuse my playing, would take some getting use to...

Video Look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM91MpQbOcs

Acoustic Test-Open G

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1plbC9dQ8LE

Make it a good day!!

Michael Cossey

Mike - very nice!  I'm thinking "A Pirate Looks at 40" would be awesome on this thing!  ;-)

Gary

That's great.  I've seen those boats at the store and it never crossed my mind to make a CBG with it.

that, is a pirate lute. beautiful piece, really great work man. I was thinking of something not too dissimilar when I saw them in the catalog. they were out of stock so i went with some trays instead. really a nice instrument there man, I hope I get half as good.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

J. D. Woods posted a discussion

Song lyrics for Steve's new song

Hey Cigar Boxers,Just listened to Seasick Steve's new song, Internet Cowboys. Does anybody know…See More
1 hour ago
AGP # commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

There i was Standing at the ..... BCB - A. D. Eker 2024

"A Different, but very Likeable take on a Classic Blues Song :-)"
1 hour ago
AGP # liked A.D.EKER's video
1 hour ago
T-Gripped liked David Hopkins's photo
6 hours ago
Jim Weaver updated their profile
7 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

There i was Standing at the ..... BCB - A. D. Eker 2024

"I tryed something differend whit the crossroad consept, thanks for listening ! appreciated !"
8 hours ago
Dar Stellabotta commented on Dar Stellabotta's video
Thumbnail

Cigar Box Guitar 106 now for sale 🙌

"Thanks everyone! Yes it is inspiring to own other cigar box guitar builders creations. I have many…"
15 hours ago
A.D.EKER replied to Southern Ray's discussion AI Search Query - Curious Answer
"Nice one Korigan !  The Vinger Slascher ?"
17 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
18 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

I Can Only Imagine: 2-String Chugger License Plate Cigar Box Guitar

"Head Slingers "The Steady Crew " Right On !"
18 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Dar Stellabotta's video
Thumbnail

Cigar Box Guitar 106 now for sale 🙌

"crunch Rocking DAR ! nice kit ! jangling julery! Slash Dar Johnson!! now on stage !!"
18 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
18 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->