Besides mailing tape is there an easily obtainable substance I could use for a banjo head that does not include animal skin. I was hoping to make it myself. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Views: 403

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh don't get me started on tins, I have 20-30 of them laying around waiting their turn, after the next few builds going to take some time to actually learn how to make some "not so painful" noise with one of these, otherwise I'll never get out of the shop.

oh, and yes, Sam's and everyone else has X-mas tins everywhere already

tins are cool .... sometimes they play themselves ... :-}

Find more videos like this on Cigar Box Nation

Candle powered canjo .
Just an idea I had .. based on the christmas windmills and carousels you may have seen .
the candles are on a wire with a pin pivot up top sitting in a little cup .
Small fins are added to the top of the wire ring above the candles to let the heat from the candles push and spin the wire ring .
the heat from the candles is the only thing spinning the ring .
I added 2 little beads on a string hanging from the candle cups to “strum the string as they go by .
Sorry no sound .- done with my kodac camera . basically it just goes
“ting …ting ting …. Ting … ting ting.
I was bored .. so hey .. a fire powered guitar filled the void ;-)

PETE1 cake or pastry container.  Tack it on with carpet tacks and shrink it with a heat gun.  See my videos

Hey Will I will check out your videos and chat back at ya
Hey Will I could not make your video run but I did see your uke and it looked amazing! Did you post the video on YouTube??

Whoever thought about the plastic bottle/cake plastic thing is a fargin' genius!  That totally sounds like a legit banjo, and banjele.  The cookie tins have a great sounds, but man o' man, that plastic drum!  Kudos to the originator!

Old x rays can be shrunk like the PET plastic as well

Jim's soda bottle thing sounds really good. Tambourines are done alot , Cheese box sound good you can use light plywood for a sound board you don't need bracing if the diameter is small..   Plastic and thin metal kitchen stuff. Many kinds of hand drums have been used toy drums bongos.

Or anything from isle 6 at Home Depot. Take care Rose

I have used both heat shrunk PET and hand drums with animal skins.

Unfortunately I havent done a video with the hand drum /animal skin but they sound a lot warmer and natural.

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation?How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

DIY Tennis Racket Guitar

Started by Shane Speal in Feature Articles. Last reply by BlueBird J 2 hours ago. 6 Replies

Help with LPG build.

Started by frank learman in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter 11 hours ago. 10 Replies

Build a Les Claypool Whamola!

Started by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker in Feature Articles. Last reply by the anonymous pick on Saturday. 8 Replies

CBG tube amp

Started by Lee Custom Shop in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Paul Craig on Friday. 8 Replies

Latest Activity

Korrigan commented on Chris "Fingerz" Zaferes's photo

Campfire Series "The Crist-O"

"Looks great Chris! Just keep it away from Dave Lynas' campfire.  : )"
2 minutes ago
turtlehead commented on Randy S. Bretz's photo
3 minutes ago
Korrigan liked Johnny Gloves's photo
4 minutes ago
Korrigan commented on Glenn Kaiser's photo

"Looks cool Glenn!"
4 minutes ago