I'm currently building my first cigar box guitar, in fact it's pretty much finished . One of the last things I need to do is install the piezo. I've noticed that everyone seems to use a hot glue gun to mount it, but I don't have one. Is there any alternative? Can I use wood or super glue instead ?

Views: 176

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, I myself would be a bit suspect of ductape maintaining a good firm contact of the disc to timber, especially over a period of time, I'd hate to have to get back in the box at a later date due to the sound deteriating.

you could use the double sided adhesive sheet used for applying pickgaurds, I do in my CBG's, you would fit dozens of discs from one sheet. 

The manufacturer of the piezos I use recommend superglue gel to get the best response from their piezo pickups.  

Taff

Thanks. I had the same idea about the duct tape, definitely a temporary solution. I was considering using super glue in the first place so I'll probably end up going that route. The pickguard adhesive is an interesting idea though.

Wow man, I dig that idea . Thanks for showing it to me. I  like the pickguard as well .

That bridge idea from Randys post is interesting, I'm gonna have to try that, I wonder if it gives the same/similar sound as a strip piezo as it appears to read strings vibration more than soundboard vibration, but possibly a bit of both. 

Its a good way to mount the piezo discs outside the body (and still look good) that way possibly cutting back on the feedback from the body cavity.

I have built a CBG just to test pickup placement, so far I have six variations/locations and now seven, damn.

Taff

Lol, as I'm starting to figure out from everyone's responses to this the possibilities seem to be nearly endless!

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation?How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

First build in years.

Started by Cause the Blue rat in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Cause the Blue rat 5 hours ago. 52 Replies

Amp wattage

Started by Joe Williams in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Joe Williams 16 hours ago. 4 Replies

VIDEO: The World's Most Irritating Instrument

Started by Shane Speal shanespeal.com in Feature Articles. Last reply by Titch the Clown on Friday. 19 Replies

Lace pickup prints

Started by Andries D. EKER in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Andries D. EKER on Friday. 15 Replies

Loopy!

Started by Korrigan in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Andreas Fischer on Wednesday. 7 Replies

NEW INVENTION: Clip-On Amplifier Works Without Electricity

Started by Shane Speal shanespeal.com in Feature Articles. Last reply by Taffy Evans Jun 12. 16 Replies

The Fascinating World of Ed Stilley’s Guitars

Started by Shane Speal shanespeal.com in Feature Articles. Last reply by Dave Lynas Jun 12. 21 Replies

Guitar scale

Started by Christopher in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Richard Dean Jun 11. 1 Reply

CBG using bass neck

Started by john keven kemege in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by john keven kemege Jun 11. 24 Replies

Latest Activity

Events

Music

Loading…

© 2018   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service