For you experienced builders out there. I am wondering if anyone has any advice on how to actually get to the point of being able to sell our builds? I know how to get the job done as far as building, but I'm a total idiot after that. Advise Pleeeeeeeeze!

Views: 238

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jack - Here's my 2 cents worth - Everyone's selling solutions are different and you will need to find yours - For me it's been from my website and it's easy for me because I'm my own webmaster - For other's it might be local craft fairs and art shows - Others may sell on the many art websites where you can list your products like Etsy - For others it's Ebay - Many might sell in several places - I would offer the suggestion of getting some good photos with good text and maybe a brochure and getting as much exposure as possible in as many places as possible both local and on the web - I believe in being a self sufficient as possible but if there is something you know you are not good at say writing advertising copy then find someone who is - I advise all friends and people who come to me for advice on starting a part time business that even though it may be a part time business it should still be ran in a professional way and that includes business cards, brochures, websites, etc. If you want to sell a product and get paid for it act like a business man - If you're doing this for a hobby and just want to make back some money to buy more materials then forget everything Iv'e just said - Just my 2 cents - Dennis Brooker
There's quite a few CBGs on Ebay. That's how I discovered they even existed. I was tempted to sell mine on Ebay, but I'm having too much fun playing it!
I want to try to help without upsetting anyone...one of us has a serious problem with our product when it comes to sales.. By that I mean CBG's for sale in general, and the wonderful instruments that you create. CBG's "for market consumption" fall into the niche somewhere between hobby/flea market kind of sales. There are alot of enthusiasts, but alot build there own. A $75 - $100 CBG is a candidate for an impulse buy from someone who's falling into this addiction, or a real junkie that just can't get enough.
YOUR creations don't fall into that category. Those are wonderful instruments, both looks and sounds, but...they're a little more than people (like me at least) can drop on an impulse. I watched in awe while you guys played the other evening and truly was impressed. It's kinda like having a collector car or motorcycle...you just have to find the guy looking for exactly what you have. Right now that's e-bay and advertising.
Flush this if it don't help, if I can sell a @ss load of mine, I'll have one of those cypress knees myself!!!!!
Thanks, man. Good advise. I am looking to do this full time at some point while keeping my builds entirely handmade. I'm just getting started, and am at this point trying to create as much buzz as possible. I sure appreciate all the advise that I can get, and I have been really excited so far with the tremendous feedback that I get from you guys at cbn. Thanks so much. Jack

Dennis Brooker said:
Jack - Here's my 2 cents worth - Everyone's selling solutions are different and you will need to find yours - For me it's been from my website and it's easy for me because I'm my own webmaster - For other's it might be local craft fairs and art shows - Others may sell on the many art websites where you can list your products like Etsy - For others it's Ebay - Many might sell in several places - I would offer the suggestion of getting some good photos with good text and maybe a brochure and getting as much exposure as possible in as many places as possible both local and on the web - I believe in being a self sufficient as possible but if there is something you know you are not good at say writing advertising copy then find someone who is - I advise all friends and people who come to me for advice on starting a part time business that even though it may be a part time business it should still be ran in a professional way and that includes business cards, brochures, websites, etc. If you want to sell a product and get paid for it act like a business man - If you're doing this for a hobby and just want to make back some money to buy more materials then forget everything Iv'e just said - Just my 2 cents - Dennis Brooker
I agree with what jkevn said as far as pricing.
In my area high end CBG's just sit and look pretty in the shop.I build and then price my CBG's in basically 3 price ranges
LOW Medium,HIGH
Low end for folks that can afford only a low price impulse CBG ( usually a 1 string Didley Bo)I also offer a slightly higher priced 1 string depending on the box itself,or the amount of time I spent on that particular piece.
I'm very lucky as I live in a tourist area that gets a lot of foot traffic in the Mall where I work.I have a display set up that displays my CBG's well .Even so if I"M NOT there actually demonstrating and playing, they DO NOT SELL.
I have a medium priced line that includes 3 string fretless's that I consider Medium,and then the high priced line that mostly sits there.I use this line to help draw interest in the CBG's in general .
I have found that sales are greatly increased when I talk about the history aspect of the CBG ,by showing a slideshow on my laptop of very old CBG's and Didly's.
The key for me was allowing people to actually hear the instruments being played.
If you dont PLAY a Didley Bo, people tend to think of it as a toy,,so they have to be educated as to what 1 string can do.Once they hear one then they start asking questions that opens the door to a sale.
I average anywhere from 4 to 8 sales a week this way,which keeps me busy both selling AND building.
I hope this helps as I think a lot of builders tend to think that "If I BUILD IT,they will buy"
I myself have not found this to be the case. In fact I spend more time in the sales area then actually building.
Thanks for the advise. I hear you. I need every bit of wisdom out there whether it's what I'd like to hear or not. Thats what I like and respect about you guys. I'm actually not neccisarily expecting to sell any srs's on cbn, but because you guys are creators yourself, and because of the comradery that I see among you, I respect your opinions and advise. Thanks, and keep it coming

Jkevn said:
I want to try to help without upsetting anyone...one of us has a serious problem with our product when it comes to sales.. By that I mean CBG's for sale in general, and the wonderful instruments that you create. CBG's "for market consumption" fall into the niche somewhere between hobby/flea market kind of sales. There are alot of enthusiasts, but alot build there own. A $75 - $100 CBG is a candidate for an impulse buy from someone who's falling into this addiction, or a real junkie that just can't get enough.
YOUR creations don't fall into that category. Those are wonderful instruments, both looks and sounds, but...they're a little more than people (like me at least) can drop on an impulse. I watched in awe while you guys played the other evening and truly was impressed. It's kinda like having a collector car or motorcycle...you just have to find the guy looking for exactly what you have. Right now that's e-bay and advertising.
Flush this if it don't help, if I can sell a @ss load of mine, I'll have one of those cypress knees myself!!!!!
Your builds are very artistic and professional. The trick for you might be to get your lap guitars into a professional players hands. You could try targeting these players and writing letters. Someone is bound to bite. Selling thru ebay is easy if you make videos demonstrating the instrument. Also, consider finding players teaching lap style. You might need to spend some money by giving an intrument away to the right person, but if they have connections it will all pay off. I hope this is helpful. Good Luck!
Thanks very much for the advise. I'll try it for sure

Keni Lee Burgess said:
Your builds are very artistic and professional. The trick for you might be to get your lap guitars into a professional players hands. You could try targeting these players and writing letters. Someone is bound to bite. Selling thru ebay is easy if you make videos demonstrating the instrument. Also, consider finding players teaching lap style. You might need to spend some money by giving an intrument away to the right person, but if they have connections it will all pay off. I hope this is helpful. Good Luck!
This week I only had time to build 6 BD's and 1 3 string fretless. The 3 string came out nice as I was able to luck up on a beautiful dark blue box that the Cigar shop had been saving for something.
I painted the peghead a matching blue and left the neck its natural dark color.
I didnt even have time to cut the strings to length before it sold yesterday.
I got to work about 2 pm. set up my table, started playing ( with small honeytone AMP run thru a "Corn Beef" to add a bit of depth to the sound drifting out into the hall, and then drew a crowd and by 8 pm had sold 4 pieces.I'm actually at the table off and on because I'm on the "clock" working for the mall at the same time and I have to slip away now and then to actually do REAL work.So I guess I was only at the table all told about 2 hours.
This mornin (SAT) I had to go out and shape 8 more necks for 1 stringers that I hadnt planned to do this weekend because I didnt expect to sell 4 pieces on the 1st nite of the weekend.
Ive been trying to make 6 to 8 1 stringers a week and 1 or 2 3 string fretless to keep up with the apparent demand but it looks like I have to figure out a way to build more and do it faster then I have been.
I dont know how to do that,I may have bitten off more then i can chew on this building/selling stuff.
From what I have seen those guits should sell them selves.
Go to places where there's music people and show them off. I am going for instance tonight to a bluegrass thing they have on the square every saturday night.
Once you get a few out there that is the best advertisment there is one thing guitar people like to other than buy guitars is show off their new guitars.
I just sell my stuff like that and if I don't sell any at least I had a good time.
But I don't think I will ever put anything on ebay just me.
Good Luck I think you have one of the most interesting slides Ive seen in a while. Besides mine Haa!
One other thing it's hard to sell to CBG people because CBG people can usually make them self.
demo what you want to sell... best advice Shane ever gave me.
With the summer tourist season kicked in I'm now up to about 9 to 12 sales a week.Thats all I have time to build anyway.But I still have to be there and demo to sell.
But I also do a little show as I demo with a few jokes here and there ,picking and playing with the crowd as I go.
I also challenge the crowd to try to play a DB and I do this by turning the DB backwards to me and giving them the pick, and slide.
I then show them how to double pick and I put my finger in the end of the slide and guide the noting the 1st try.
Then I let them try it themselves , and in a couple of minutes they are playing a simple piece of a blues riff.
They love it and it generates a sale a lot of the time.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter on Wednesday. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

Latest Activity

Matthias Bichsel left a comment for Moritz Voegeli
"www.cbguitars.ch auf FB This Bichsel"
16 hours ago
Matthias Bichsel left a comment for Moritz Voegeli
"Hallo, ich bin aus Solothurn. Lisa Stearns hat mich gefragt ob ich Dich kenne. Ich baue cbg. Gruss…"
16 hours ago
Matthias Bichsel liked Moritz Voegeli's profile
16 hours ago
BrianQ. left a comment for John Herrick
17 hours ago
BrianQ. left a comment for Daniel Cook
17 hours ago
BrianQ. left a comment for Skip Novakovich
17 hours ago
T-Gripped liked David Woodman 's photo
17 hours ago
Profile IconJohn Herrick, Daniel Cook and Skip Novakovich joined Cigar Box Nation
18 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

The Blues riff a Tutorial BCB 2024

"Yup Doug ! standart tuning for the four that el be missing the E's ADGB ,on the 3 Tree String…"
20 hours ago
Max commented on Max's video
Thumbnail

My second guitar

"Thanks everyone, yes well and truly hooked haha. If I ever put this one down it's to make…"
yesterday
Southern Ray replied to Moritz Voegeli's discussion Joseph J. Rogowski about Current Based Pickup Design
" A few years later... Thank you."
yesterday
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Jesus Thank You: 3D Printed Cigar Box Guitar

"Monday was Faith Night; today was Faith Afternoon at the church (a 90 minute jam with some…"
yesterday

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->