So I really like the idea of taking non-musical parts and making a musical instrument, or at the very least, making the part yourself.  Using machine heads is sort of like cheating to me and sort of kills the spirit of "this something I threw together with crap I found in my garage."  

Thanks. 

Views: 14595

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice idea Ted, using dowels, screws and salt as tuners. Have you only used it on one single instrument?

If machine head tuners always are the best solution, why are they not used more on violins and cellos?

Violins, violas, and most cellos stayed with pegs to keep the authentic look in the style of Stradiveri or in the style of Amanti, and added tailpiece tuner machines instead of headstock machines.  some cellos ( https://youtu.be/UzJ9dMYu2AM)  and all double-basses have tuning machines because the string tension is just too tight.

I have tried to make 2 handmade worm drive gear tuners, as a experiment.

These tuners are really not an "alternative" to machine heads, because they are indeed real worm drive tuners themselves, but they are handmade, and they are BIG!

Is it possible to make worm drive tuners, using only handtools?
I think so, and I have tried to make worm drive tuners, one smaller, and one bigger, but they are both much bigger than ordinary worm drive tuners (machine heads).

The worm itself is not made by using a lathe and carving away the redunt materials.
Instead an add-on method is used, where a cord is wrapped around a dowel, and some nails keep it in place.

The worm wheel uses nails or wire as »teeths«.

Two kinds of dowels are used.
The thin axis is made of a Ø6 mm thick flower stick. The thick axis is made of a Ø22 mm broom stick.

The worm drive tuners are very big, so they are placed on the instruments body and not on the headstock.

Here is a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcS3BNPrMp4&feature=youtu.be

and some pics:

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation?How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Build This DIY Guitar Fuzz Pedal in 10 Minutes - VIDEO

Started by Shane Speal shanespeal.com in Feature Articles. Last reply by Paul Craig Jul 8. 19 Replies

Cigar Box Kalimba - Builder's Notes, Hacks & Blues Tuning Mod

Started by Shane Speal shanespeal.com in Feature Articles. Last reply by Shane Speal shanespeal.com Jul 7. 7 Replies

Offset Guitar Necks

Started by Aidan Gunter in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Jeff 'Bones' Reilly Jul 4. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

James O Lunsford liked shane wagstaff's video
3 minutes ago
Richard Sundberg liked c# merle's video
4 minutes ago
Richard Sundberg commented on c# merle's video
Thumbnail

one soul tonight

"WOW, this surprised me! I had no idea such a great production from a little sliding rock n roll…"
4 minutes ago
James O Lunsford commented on Rowdy Berry's video
Thumbnail

CBG build #8 Sound test and such

"Good looking guitar nice playing Like your Bike I also ride a Harley "
7 minutes ago
James O Lunsford liked Rowdy Berry's video
11 minutes ago
James O Lunsford liked c# merle's video
13 minutes ago
James O Lunsford commented on c# merle's video
Thumbnail

one soul tonight

"Good colab guys toe tapping tune indeed"
14 minutes ago
James O Lunsford commented on Andries D. EKER's video
Thumbnail

One Fine Summer Day A D Eker 2018 triumph slide

"Sorry for your loss she left you a very nice classical guitar to remember her by fine playing…"
16 minutes ago
Richard Sundberg liked Andries D. EKER's video
17 minutes ago
Richard Sundberg commented on Andries D. EKER's video
Thumbnail

There she Goes A D Eker 2018

"A smart philosophical guy once said “ you can’t live with them, and you can’t…"
17 minutes ago
James O Lunsford liked Andries D. EKER's video
19 minutes ago
James O Lunsford left a comment for Spencer Lockhart
"Thanks for the friend request Spencer Welcome to CBN "
26 minutes ago

Events

Music

Loading…

© 2018   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service