HI

I've built a few CBGs now, including a regular size uke. (and a 4 string uke-sized solid body Jazzmaster shaped guitar).

I enjoy noodling around on the 3 string CBGs but the only thing I can really "play" at all is the uke. After a lifetime of trying to play musical instruments I eventually discovered the uke, and that 4 strings is just enough for me and my fingers to manage, to make enough chords to be able to play some recognisable tunes.

So I had the idea to build something bigger, but use uke GCEA tuning so I can use the chord shapes I know. I'm trying it out on my first licence plate guitar. Neck is 2 hardwood strips (oak or oak-like) laminated.

What do you advise on strings to use? 

Anything I've found online on 4-strings has talked about different tunings from mine and my initial experiments (admittedly with a pile of strings largely leftovers from 6 string sets) have not been very satisfactory. thinnest strings from guitar set snapped before they got to A, and by the time I'd worked up to a gauge that didn't, it was thick enough to sound different from the others. Strings across the instrument in the range I use on CBGs were hard/impossible to crank up to this tuning

It may be unrealistic but I'm aiming for a CBG sound with UKE tuning and chord shapes..

Appreciate any guidance on gauges/types/guitar equivalents you have used that work.

Thanks

Stewart 

Views: 104

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well Stewart there are a few possibilities here. The chord shapes will be identical on a 4 string tenor guitar tuned DGbe but what is a C chord on uke is now a G chord on the tenor guitar. You still put your fingers in the exact same pattern. This, in fact, is the case on a Baritone uke which has around a 19" scale and is tuned DGbe.. Of course the 4th string won't be a high note like on most soprano ukes. I f you absolutely want the GCea tuning an octave lower I think what might work is the 5th, 4th, 3rd and 2nd strings from a 6 string set. So the A string would tune down to G, the D string to C, the G string down to E and the B string to A. Nylon strings would give a more uke type sound. It might take a few different gauge sets to find what works best. You'll never get that 6 string set up to the high A so what you need to aim for is one octave below standard uke..So instead of A 440 for the high string you want A 220. In summary, the simplest way is to make a 24"scale bari uke or tenor guitar type instrument where your fingers make the same shapes but the chords will be lower.

Here's one of my baritone ukes on a 17" scale using bari uke strings

https://youtu.be/VfboNs64xcc

You'd likely need guitar strings on 24" scale.

One of the first gits I built was a 24" uke.   You can use classical guitar strings, they work fine. Beyond that, what Jim says.  I didn't have any trouble choosing strings, but I'm not a purist uke player; I just tuned it to the basic notes, ignoring the octave.  But it worked; I've played it before in a uke circle at a local music store and it blended right in.

Here's two photos of the one I built:

Very nice build! Love the tailpiece; we had roughly 3 dozen of those exact cabinet pulls in our old house. :-)

Thanks.  Yeah, they're a pretty tailpiece.  Had to kind of kluge the string-holder bit, but it works. Box itself was hand-painted, decoration done using a gold pen.

If I were to do it again I'd probably put some sort of edging on the box to keep the strings from eating into the wood... and perhaps put a cross-bar inside the tailpiece to hold the strings.  But for nylon strings it worked fine.

Maybe a piece of old brass formed over the edge and super-glued in place to protect the box edge?

Lovely build. I hadn't thought about using a gold pen.

Yup, could be that simple.  Can't do it now because it already sold.  But as testament that classical guitar strings work, here's the customer review:

avery talgo on Oct 21, 2015

5 out of 5 stars

This is by far the most unique ukulele I have ever seen! It has a slightly different sound than a classic tenor, but that's what makes me love it even more : )

G - #3G tuned to G
C - #4D tuned down to C
E - #3G tuned down to E or #4D tuned up to E
A - #2B tuned down to A

and I agree a classic set will sound more ukulele than bronze phosphor acoustic strings will.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation?How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Playing Slide Blues on Cigar Box Guitar: These are the basics. Start here!

Started by Shane (www.ShaneSpeal.com) in Feature Articles. Last reply by the anonymous pick 1 hour ago. 5 Replies

How to Play Cigar Box Guitar - Shane's Secret Riff for Selling Cigar Box Guitars

Started by Shane (www.ShaneSpeal.com) in Feature Articles. Last reply by Shane (www.ShaneSpeal.com) yesterday. 5 Replies

ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT DAN SLEEP.

Started by the anonymous pick in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Ron "Oily" Sprague on Tuesday. 22 Replies

Latest Activity

BUGGY (C) commented on the anonymous pick's video
Thumbnail

SWAMP WITCH GUITAR FOR DAN SLEEP CANCER THEME

""There was a case in a church recently in the US, where everyone was praying for a woman with…"
18 minutes ago
BUGGY (C) liked the anonymous pick's video
22 minutes ago
Thumbnail

"Nice gift too Mr Pick, a really sweet thought with this and below we can fix him ;>)"
23 minutes ago
Thumbnail

"A naturally-occurring compound called amygdalin is present in apricot kernels and…"
24 minutes ago
Thumbnail

"Vitamin B17 is found in almost all fruit seeds such as the apple, peach, cherry, orange, nectarine…"
28 minutes ago
33 minutes ago
BUGGY (C) commented on Uncle John's video
35 minutes ago
BUGGY (C) commented on James's video
Thumbnail

3 3 16

"Rockin...."
39 minutes ago
Milt Haselmire posted photos
42 minutes ago
BUGGY (C) commented on BUGGY (C)'s video
43 minutes ago
Randy S. Bretz posted a photo

Frying Pan rod bridge

Custom bridge order...carved Mahogany pan-dyed black. Buffalo horn saddle, snakewood -bacon, egg…
1 hour ago
the anonymous pick replied to Shane (www.ShaneSpeal.com)'s discussion Playing Slide Blues on Cigar Box Guitar: These are the basics. Start here!
"Eric  . if i can offer some tips  ..  slide rattle  can  depend  on…"
1 hour ago

Music

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service