Hi all,  Does anybody have experience with putting some kind of weight into the box to balance a CBG? My second build turned out perfect, nice low action, perfect intonation, great sound and so much fun I haven't touched my "real" guitar in a while. But there is one problem: The neck is way heavier than the body and so I constantly have to push down the body with my ellbow while playing... I'm sure other people have experienced th same thing - how did you fix that problem? Any advice greatly apreciated! Thanks! 

Views: 374

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Re the Sustain issue.

Hi all, I thought that I would add what I know and do regarding sustain and then thought wow that’s a big subject, so I thought  I’ll refer to my notes from building acoustic guitars over the years. I was right it is a bit of an in depth subject and as I’m not too good with explaining myself, I will contribute but keep it short and sweet.

With the full sized guitars that I build I go to a lot of effort/time to tune the top, back and braces to get the best of tone, volume, balance and sustain that I can.

What contributes to sustain is the characteristics of the top, back, strings and the strings anchor points and of course the player.

A dense or overbuilt top, will give a different sustain to a more flexible responsive top.

Take the example above of the large nuts being used to dampen [stiffen] the top and in doing so created more sustain, I suspect you may find that this was at the expense of the roundness/fullness of the notes/tone.

As one lightens a top it becomes more musical more responsive, but sustain will diminish proportionately.

*Stiff/heavy top = brightness of response = longer sustain, but the sound is constrained and lacking dynamic range.

*Flexible/lighter top = more responsive, more bass more acoustic sounding = less sustaining. It takes more energy to drive this kind of top; the energy comes from the vibrating strings.

Some soundboxes receive the strings energies and release them pretty much right away, while others will release the energy over a longer time. So how one builds the soundbox has a bearing on sustain also.

Does this apply to simple Cigar box Guitars? I think it can. A recent CBG I built was an experiment where I used acoustic guitar principals and techniques with a thin responsive top, active back and bracing considerations. I must say it has a “wow” factor sound compared to my other CBG’s......... Probably sounds more like a bad acoustic guitar, ha ha.

This was not a short post after all, and it’s only a fraction of the story

Cheers Taff

Taffy,

Keep going! Add more to this thread. Good shtuff, mate.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation?How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

My music partner

Started by Richard Dean in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Jim Morris on Wednesday. 2 Replies

To much HOLE

Started by Matt in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by darryl kernaghan on Tuesday. 10 Replies

VIDEO: The World's Most Irritating Instrument

Started by Shane Speal shanespeal.com in Feature Articles. Last reply by Paul Craig Sep 17. 17 Replies

Latest Activity

Erasmo Coco commented on Erasmo Coco's video
Thumbnail

Fall Whiskey Drinking Country Blues (2string cookie tin )

"Thanks AGP . It's all good 4 deg will seem like summer next spring. (-:"
52 minutes ago
AGP # liked Anders Kjærgaard's photo
53 minutes ago
AGP # liked Jeff 'Bones' Reilly's photo
54 minutes ago
Thumbnail

"12 deg here right now , High teens next week , seasonable . looks like your burning up Pick ."
54 minutes ago
AGP # liked Angry Rooster Guitars's photo
55 minutes ago
Thumbnail

"Thanks Andries, I will have 2 shots next time and maybe smile . (-:"
56 minutes ago
AGP # commented on Uncle John's photo
1 hour ago
AGP # liked Uncle John's photo
1 hour ago
Wal Callaby commented on smojo's group The Brits are coming
"Hello fellow Brits. Anyone here from Suffolk? Bit of a long shot, but who knows..."
1 hour ago
Wal Callaby joined smojo's group
Thumbnail

The Brits are coming

A gathering of the UK cbg clan.
1 hour ago
Keith Rearick liked Snuffy Smith's video
1 hour ago
AGP # commented on Erasmo Coco's video
Thumbnail

"Whiskey's Great!, 2 String Tin's Great!, Playing's Great!, :-), 4 Degrees…"
1 hour ago

Events

Music

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service