First off, I'm not making this to sell, I'm making myself a 3 string to keep and play, I was deciding on about 3 different ways to go, but finally settled on a Resonator Build. So anybody and everybody who has one, built one or just knowledgeable, please chime in your .02 cents worth, I need some help with this build, so hopefully my many questions don't wear you out, especially if they've been answered before, I did do some research.

I'm using my homemade 8"x14"x2" oak box 3/16" thick. Nice grain, box joints, strong and fairly light so far. I'm purchasing a 7" Atkinson copper resonator, plan on making the neck and biscuit from the same oak. Possibly adding a fixed wood truss(even if overkill for a 3 string) Not sure on the fretboard, either rosewood or maple, leaning towards the maple, I plan on using 1/8" Birch plywood for the soundboard and back, "F" holes on or screened grommets on top, some nice closed 18-1 closed tuners, quality strings, open "G" tuning. I want a quality Git when I'm done.

That being said....

1) What kind of pickup, was thinking the 3 pole pigsquealer, but I have several 6pole single pups and a couple humbuckers and plenty of Piezo's. I know it should have decent volume and ring with a 7" Res, but want good quality sound electrically as well.

2) What kind of bracing support for the 1/8" soundboard, since I'm using a Res, I'm assuming bracing shouldn't kill off too much sound.

3) I plan on using a Zero Fret instead of a nut, What kind of angle/break would you apply to the neck to give plenty of strum area.

4) What size frets, I currently have some small 2mm sets.

5) Pots, volume only, volume and tone

6) Reverb Spring, good, bad, don't need it

7) Scale, was thinking 25.5"

Probably more questions to follow during the build, thanks in advance.

Rich

Views: 1055

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks, I took my last headstock design, and slightly modified it to accommodate all 3 tuners on 1 side

I did this design awhile back. All the tuners are easy to get to.

cool

Ok, I mentioned I'm making this one a little primal or worn looking if you will...DO YOU KNOW HOW HARD IT IS TO STOP SANDING....sorry, lost it there for a second, after I got it shaped the way I wanted it, I just kept sanding and sanding, had to slap myself, I started making it look as nice as the one I wouldn't use here because it was too nice, I had to go back and rough it up a little, gouge here and there, nothing to give you splinters mind you, but...damn that was hard not to really finish it.

And I modified the headstock to give it a slightly different look as well.

ok, enjoy the pics;

oh, and the box is distressed the same

I like it.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation?How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Blog Posts

winter olympics 2018 peongchang

Posted by BlueBird J on February 24, 2018 at 4:01am 2 Comments

Action hieght

Posted by Scott on February 20, 2018 at 7:07pm 3 Comments

Diddley Bow

Posted by Markus Gaiser on February 18, 2018 at 4:09pm 1 Comment

Latest Activity

Richard Sundberg liked RTZGUITARS's video
33 minutes ago
Richard Sundberg commented on RTZGUITARS's video
Thumbnail

#NoToys

"Just totally beautiful music!"
33 minutes ago
Jim_in_Tucson liked Korrigan's photo
43 minutes ago
Jim_in_Tucson commented on BlueBird J's blog post winter olympics 2018 peongchang
"Curling!! The drama! The excitement! Players and participants; nay, the entire arena ablaze in a…"
48 minutes ago
Andries D. EKER commented on Richard Sundberg's video
Thumbnail

Nestled in Tight

"Ambient Nightschift . docter Tone & King Rhythm  verry soothing a moment in time …"
1 hour ago
Richard Sundberg liked Erasmo Coco's video
1 hour ago
Richard Sundberg commented on Erasmo Coco's video
Thumbnail

Ode to the Kitchen Party- Hangover Blues

"Good use of a guitar to hold you down from flying away in your orange balloon. That cooked like…"
1 hour ago
Gary W aka Rev. Bluejeans commented on Andries D. EKER's photo
1 hour ago
Gary W aka Rev. Bluejeans commented on Holly Hodson's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_1787

"Nice!"
1 hour ago
Gary W aka Rev. Bluejeans commented on Korrigan's photo
Thumbnail

Lynas Slides

"Or maybe "Sooooo-weeeeeeet!"   Nice!"