"Come on, brothers and sisters, KICK OUT THE CANS!"  

For our final build-off contest of 2017, we're looking for your best canjos, cookie tin banjos and any other playable stringed instrument made from discarded metal containers.  It can have one string wired to a tin can or it could be a full size harp made from an outdoor propane tank!  The more creative, the better.

Here's the details:

Contest runs Nov. 16 - Dec. 20, 2017

Prizes:  $100 C. B. Gitty Gift Certificate for 1st place, $50 Gitty gift certificate for second and $25 gift certificate for third.

Judges:  Shane Speal, Ben "Gitty," Glenn Watt and Farley Andresen

How to Enter:

1.  In the comments section below, post up to three (3) photos and one (1) video of your entry.

2.  Add a one (1) paragraph description with your photo entry.

3.  Shake, stir, repeat.  (Yes, you can submit more than one entry!)

4.  Submissions that won previous Cigar Box Nation contests are ineligible.  

Need inspiration?  Here's Wesseh to show you how it's done...

Note:  This is the official contest entry page.  Do not use this page to post comments about other submissions.

Views: 7728

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

My Second entry is One Tooth Joe ,build for my youngest son Jack, His older brother Jasper gave him the tin a few Christmas back now , 24" scale Tasmaian oak through neck , coustom eagle machine head ,1/4" bolt & thread for nut & bridge , 27mm piezo ,250k pot ,1/4 jack  with Santa coustom volume knob jack found in the decoration box to finish off the thyme . Merry Christmas from my family to all your families .

This is Mable, a 2-string chugger. I found this gem of a neck mixed in with some canes at the local antique store. I thought it was odd that it wasn't with the other yardsticks and also odd that it was only $7 while the others yardsticks in the store were $30-$40. It's square and tapers from 3/4"x3/4" at one end to 1/2"x1/2" at the other. Some internet research shows that it was in the right place with the canes, it's actually a promotional walking stick. Anyway, an idea was formed so I searched for a can and something to use for a tailpiece. Must have done 20 laps around the store but I found 'em. So... walking stick $7, maple syrup can $6, shoehorn $2, other hardware about $8 for a total of $23. The way my playing it makes my wife look at me like I just farted in church... priceless.

same as the one my wife found

Latest build off the bench, it's a 3 string diatonically tuned 24" scale Dulci-strummer, made from a superman boxer briefs tin I got at a local resale shop. The frets are made from finishing nails. It is tuned EBE. I mod-poged superman comic panels down the fretboard. It has a piezo pickup.In this video my co-worker Jacob Freeman is enjoying it.

Really adds to that "Tone Is In The Underpants" saying. LOL

Nice build.

HEHEHEHE! I can't get over what it is. But it sounds good!

This is a Christie's Zephyr Creme soda tin from the early 1900's. I...

"This is a Christie's Zephyr Creme soda tin from the early 1900's. Inside of box is reinforced with wood for strength as these tins are quite thin.Maple neck with Danelectro style headstock,oldlowe f-holes and bridge created by Randy Bretz…"

Attachments:

"Satellite, 2006." This guitar features an entire six pack of National Bohemian Beer cans for resonating chambers--thus the six sound holes. It's an acoustic guitar--the oven knobs look like pick up controls but they are merely for show. It's made almost entirely from scrap construction lumber. The neck is 2X4 with a fretboard from Jatoba flooring. The head plate is Cocobolo from a friend's scrap bin. Top and back from Luan plywood. Spray painted sunburst. Hand carved bridge. Nameplate from a Plymouth Satellite.... Being a resonator guitar I figured I'd skip the hassle of making sides--plus you get a better view of the beer cans. How does it sound? A little thin but pleasant. But because I took some, er, liberties with the neck-to-body joint it has a very high action up the neck and so it's just a wall hanger.

You forgot to mention the awesome Plymouth Satellite emblem, and high action doesn't make it a wall hangar, makes it a "Slide Guitar" HoHoHo Merry Christmas!

Attachments:

here it is the cooky can shovel 2 string CBG, I call it the cookiescrapguitar

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation?How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

My first build

Started by Calvin Harris in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Korrigan 9 hours ago. 3 Replies

Sting Issues

Started by Roland Wood in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Paul Craig on Sunday. 11 Replies

Fret dot recommendation

Started by Douglas Eric Marsalis in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Titch the Clown on Thursday. 28 Replies

Latest Activity

AGP # liked Korrigan's photo
10 minutes ago
AGP # liked Mike Willmouth's photo
11 minutes ago
AGP # commented on Jaber's photo
Thumbnail

mini mandolin

""Very Very Nice"  :-)"
13 minutes ago
AGP # liked Jaber's photo
14 minutes ago
AGP # liked Jaber's photo
14 minutes ago
Paul Craig replied to Stephen Faulk's discussion No cigar boxes here! in the group Introduce Yourself!
"Whatever works. Do they smell fishy? Welcome Stephen."
15 minutes ago
AGP # commented on Maddog's photo
Thumbnail

1959 Nebraska "The Beef State" LPG

"This pics a bit blurry, I think it's "SHIVERRING"   :-D"
15 minutes ago
AGP # liked Maddog's photo
16 minutes ago
StorminSteve updated their profile photo
17 minutes ago
AGP # commented on Maddog's photo