2017 "Kick The Can" Build-Off contest - Canjos, Tin Can Guitars

"Come on, brothers and sisters, KICK OUT THE CANS!"  

For our final build-off contest of 2017, we're looking for your best canjos, cookie tin banjos and any other playable stringed instrument made from discarded metal containers.  It can have one string wired to a tin can or it could be a full size harp made from an outdoor propane tank!  The more creative, the better.

Here's the details:

Contest runs Nov. 16 - Dec. 20, 2017

Prizes:  $100 C. B. Gitty Gift Certificate for 1st place, $50 Gitty gift certificate for second and $25 gift certificate for third.

Judges:  Shane Speal, Ben "Gitty," Glenn Watt and Farley Andresen

How to Enter:

1.  In the comments section below, post up to three (3) photos and one (1) video of your entry.

2.  Add a one (1) paragraph description with your photo entry.

3.  Shake, stir, repeat.  (Yes, you can submit more than one entry!)

4.  Submissions that won previous Cigar Box Nation contests are ineligible.  

Need inspiration?  Here's Wesseh to show you how it's done...

Note:  This is the official contest entry page.  Do not use this page to post comments about other submissions.

Views: 9645

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Yay!!!!! Another build contest! Hey, what are some of the songs on that old list?

So do things like cookie tins count, or do they have to be "cans?" I think Ben said on Gitty Gang on Friday, "tins" but you guys are calling this "cans.."

Tins, cans, propane tanks, steel caskets...

The bachelor pad .
Antique 1940's / 50's Wolverine co. kitchen tin litho play set . mod.
The sink guitar - the taps actually work on this sink . there is a reservoir in the back that you can fill with water or beer , then turn the tiny tap knobs , and it will run into the sink. You could pour yourself a mini beer if ya wanted .. (although I don't advise drinking anything from this thing ) ;-) guitar part is pretty much the same set up electronically as a swamp witch , there is a mini humbucker hiding under the tea towel . and jack under the neck .It has high action for slide , and the reso from the tin acoustically is awesome . 3 strings , 24 scale .The stove / stomp box .door is fitted with a guitar string through the back , and connected to a board pedal .. this slams the door as you stomp/ tap. your foot . sounds pretty cool , and has an inner shelf you can set clangables on for more tones .the fridge amp .yup , that's a real fender mini amp stuffed in there , 9 volt battery operated , 2 speakers , gain , volume , clean , and sounds wild , can even get a cool oil can reverb kinda sound with the door shut . the handles on the freezer and fridge door both operate and lock the door in place , or release by lifting it . , as the real handles did .

Win or lose , i hope it inspires .

And,  since  we can enter more than one ..  here's the  self playing  , fire powered ,  candle jo . for sh@ts and giggles.

Just an idea I had .. based on the christmas windmills and carousels you may have seen .
the candles are on a wire with a pin pivot up top sitting in a little cup .
Small fins are added to the top of the wire ring above the candles to let the heat from the candles push and spin the wire ring .the heat from the candles is the only thing spinning the ring .
I added 2 little beads on a string hanging from the candle cups to “strum the string as they go by .
Sorry no sound .- done with my kodac camera . basically it just goes
“ting …ting ting …. Ting … ting ting. but you can manually add more with a slide.
I was bored .. so hey .. a fire powered guitar filled the void ;-)  

go create ;-)

Find more videos like this on Cigar Box Nation

this is awesome bro. love how you made it bigger.

Check the instructions above for adding photos so you can edit your entry.  

Cookie tin tenor banjo.  Tin was twenty five cents at a thrift shop, and the neck, painted as is, was salvaged from a dumpster.  They fit together perfectly.  It's a keeper.

My first sale, commissioned by a co-worker for her son.  My first time adding frets.  Neck is Peruvian walnut, with red oak fret board.

Commissioned for a Coca-Cola collector.  Coke-themed checkers tin, antique bottle opener tailpiece.  Cherry neck (for the Cherry Coke lover), red oak fret board with markers punched from a coke can.

This uke got me back on the "Nice" list a couple of Christmas' ago.

My first ever guitar - Quality Street . Four string open G

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Taffy Evans yesterday. 8 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Latest Activity

BrianQ. liked Gary O'slide's video
3 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Flathead Diddley Bow

"Thanks. Wow! That becomes a spendy box Alan. They are pretty distinctive though. I have a few on…"
7 hours ago
Nigel McTrustry posted a video

Nigel McTrustry & The Hound Dogs are Loose! - Yellow Dog - Live - Original - Cigar Box Guitar

Nigel McTrustry & The Hound Dogs are Loose! Yellow Dog (McTrustry)@ The Cave Inn Brisbane, Australia.The song is currently on Spotify.
8 hours ago
AGP # commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Flathead Diddley Bow

""Sweet Doug" :-), have seen quite a few Flathead Builds over the years, great looking…"
10 hours ago
AGP # liked David Dodt's photo
10 hours ago
10 hours ago
10 hours ago
AGP # liked Doug Thorsvik's photo
10 hours ago
10 hours ago
10 hours ago
AGP # liked Aaron Green's photo
10 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Gary O'slide's video
11 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->