Contest is closed and we have now chosen three winners from all the entries!!!

FIRST PLACE and a $100 gift certificate to www.CBGitty.com goes to Heatmiser George and his skeletal-carved "Johnny Coffinwood" guitar:

SECOND PLACE and a $50 gift certificate to www.CBGitty.com is D S Phillips with his gory "Ed Gein" guitar:

THIRD PLACE & a $25 C. B. Gitty gift certificate goes to JD Swann with "Voodoo"

These contests are almost impossible to judge, especially with so many noteworthy entries.  Congratulations to all the winners and a huge shout out to all the entries!

CONTEST IS CLOSED.  THANKS FOR ENTERING!  Original contest information below along with all entries:

It's that time of year!  We're looking for the wildest Halloween-inspired homemade instruments.  Coffin basses, creepy guitars, musical chainsaws, axe guitars, grave digger shovel guitars... get weird or go home!

The rules:

1. Post your entries below. NO MORE THAN THREE PHOTOS AND ONE VIDEO PER ENTRY.  Include a one paragraph description with your entry.
  2. Entries must be submitted between September 25 and October 22, 2017.
  3. Entries must not have been submitted to any other Cigar Box Nation contest in the past.
  4. Instruments must be built by the submitter.

Views: 5373

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

This is my 2nd semi serious attempt to make a cigar box guitar. I'm still just beginning to get into this exciting hobby and there's many things I would have done differently. I actually started this build about 3 months ago, if this disqualifies me thats cool. I mainly wanted to show it off. Initially I wasn't planning on it having a Halloween or spooky theme, till a friend commented that the shape reminded her of a coffin. Anyway here's my entry the Coffin Box Guitar.

My entry for the 2017 Halloween build off is my 4 string Ed Gein  Dead Skin Mask Banjo. 

The pot is made from a native american hoop drum I got from a trading post.  The head is goat skin also purchased there.  The neck is maple (scarf Joint-my first) with a red oak fret board.  The dead skin mask was an add on in a mache style application.  The tuners are leftovers in my build stuff.  The strings are nylon and the marking on fretboard were burned in. The banjo is open back and skin was soaked and tacked on. This was alot of fun!!!

Attachments:

My one string stand-up bass. Crude, ugly, but playable.

SKULL UKULELE

My brother in dental school gave me a plastic skull that he got from a classmate.  Of course I had to make a ukulele with it.  The body and neck are poplar and the fretboard is walnut.  It has skull tuners and a skull volume knob for the piezo pickup. It's the spookiest uke I've ever made.

VIDEO DEMO:

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Taffy Evans yesterday. 8 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Latest Activity

BrianQ. liked Gary O'slide's video
54 minutes ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Flathead Diddley Bow

"Thanks. Wow! That becomes a spendy box Alan. They are pretty distinctive though. I have a few on…"
5 hours ago
Nigel McTrustry posted a video

Nigel McTrustry & The Hound Dogs are Loose! - Yellow Dog - Live - Original - Cigar Box Guitar

Nigel McTrustry & The Hound Dogs are Loose! Yellow Dog (McTrustry)@ The Cave Inn Brisbane, Australia.The song is currently on Spotify.
5 hours ago
AGP # commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Flathead Diddley Bow

""Sweet Doug" :-), have seen quite a few Flathead Builds over the years, great looking…"
7 hours ago
AGP # liked David Dodt's photo
7 hours ago
7 hours ago
7 hours ago
AGP # liked Doug Thorsvik's photo
7 hours ago
7 hours ago
7 hours ago
AGP # liked Aaron Green's photo
7 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Gary O'slide's video
8 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->