I popped into Rockler the other day, they’re a tool and supplies store for woodworking. I found and bought a few 1/8”x2”x24” pieces of exotic hardwood. I figured these would be really nice for fretboards and only 1/2 the thickness of the 1/4” stock that is often used.

Has anyone used these before? Thoughts?

Thanks, Scott

Views: 833

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've been reading this thread for a few days now, so I thought I'd have my 2 cents worth, I can't think of any good reason to go with a 1/8th fretboard as a 1st choice, my reasons, among others are, 1. it will add very little to the strength of the neck, and any imperfections in the trueness of the neck top will just be followed. 2 . any sanding or finishing resulting in thinning the board will become more obvious on the smaller board. 3. because of the lack of depth, side markers are unlikely to be easy to fix, and the reduction in break angle at the nut needs to be considered. As I say, these are just my thoughts on the issue, i feel that it just makes the whole build harder by reducing the margins in the adjustment areas

All good points, but you can build a CBG on a bare 1x2 and it works just fine.
What Darryl says is all very relevant, but I should point out that early banjos, mandolins and guitars had very thin fingerboards, many less than 1/8".
Cheers Taff.

You can also treat the 1/8 boards like veneers, glue on to the neck before cutting the fret slots, put the side dots in the neck, cut the nut slot into the neck through the veneer, use for headstock decoration, etc

This is basically how I’d use them. I use a zero fret instead of a nut so no worries there.

Ok . my 5.5 cents plus 13% Canadian tax  on this is :     Remember  to try not to overthink stuff , or , underestimate stuff either . Heck,  you can fret a bare  1x2 neck  3 string  with no fretboard  and  no worries , (with a good piece of wood) .  and a fretless  = even less worry.  Not to mention ,  A 1/8th fretboard may  bring the neck to the  height of / match the thickness of / , the box top , making a flush fit  without cutting out any neck space . resulting  in less work and a nice look .  Inlay height would match better too . heck  you could   drill through  or  scroll cut out the negative space  and fill in with what ever . heck even leave the negative  / scroll designs for a nice carved look .(on a slider)  . etc etc etc .. the possibilities are endless . 

Sometimes it is better to explain why you did something ..... than to ask if you should first  ;-)

Yes, sometimes better to just forge ahead, but this thread is generating some really good info.

Wasn't givin ya grief for asking .  just bringing  it back to simplicity .  ;-)

Cheers to that! Often best not to overthink things, but then what are internet forums for? ;)
I agree. My first guitar build I used a nice solid piece of 1x2 maple for the neck and fretted it. Even though I shaved a little meat of the neck while shaping it, It is still pretty much dead straight after over a year.

I use 1" x 2" boards for my necks(actual 3/4" x 1&1/2") and then apply a 1/4" x 2"(actual) for the fingerboard/fretboard.

Using a 1/8" thick piece would okay for a non-fretted git, but not for a fretted git in my opinion. The groove for the fret tang is usually 1/8" or close to it.

Goes to show that shopping/hunting   for the right/ adequate  piece of wood , is just  an important knowledge base as building is.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

Latest Activity

A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Up the Hill A D Eker 2024

"thanks kale !yup that shaker sure keeps the groove going , and this LACE is my fender in the CBG…"
1 hour ago
AGP # liked Ghostbuttons's photo
2 hours ago
AGP # commented on Randy S. Bretz's photo
Thumbnail

Off the Bench !

"A while in the making, But!, well worth the wait, another outstanding one off Randy Bretz Build,…"
2 hours ago
AGP # liked Randy S. Bretz's photo
2 hours ago
AGP # liked Dar Stellabotta's video
2 hours ago
Randy S. Bretz posted a photo

Off the Bench !

Top neck - 23" 018p,028,038 / Bottom neck - 28" 018p,030,044,056.
2 hours ago
BrianQ. commented on Dar Stellabotta's video
Thumbnail

Wooden Guitar Slides from Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Demo!!!!

"They actually sound great, but I like the fact that they won’t break if you drop em! "
6 hours ago
Carl Floyd liked Moritz Voegeli's discussion Joseph J. Rogowski about Current Based Pickup Design
8 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Dar Stellabotta's video
Thumbnail

Wooden Guitar Slides from Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Demo!!!!

"Great Sliding ! But to be honest i dont hear that much a differens,  beleave the Glass is a…"
13 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Up the Hill A D Eker 2024

"thanks AGP;# ! much appriciated !"
13 hours ago
Crazed Fandango added a discussion to the group Introduce Yourself!
Thumbnail

Better late than never...

After joining this forum in 2014, I finally have my 1st CBG which my wife bought for me at the…See More
15 hours ago
Bernie Edwards liked J. D. Woods's photo
15 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->